Tuesday, October 18, 2011

RETIRE MEANT FUN, BUT NOT ANYMORE.

6am
The usual time these days
I used to sleep in all day when I was younger
Now I just eat soup and go to bed after the news.

My creaking ribs ache with each breath
All my bones ache
When it’s cold
When it’s wet
When I do nothing for too long
My bones ache.

Everybody I know
Memories
They haunt within this thick skull, too dense to learn new skills
Too scared to meet new people
Too tired to watch them die.

This oddly shaped meat sack of rattling bones spills out of its edges
Or would if it had them anymore
All definition is now undefined
Blurred and grey
I waste away.

I don’t have my own teeth
But at least I have bowel control

I once looked forward to these workless days
These days nothing works at all.

Welcome to retirement
Like it’s something to look forward to
Ha!

So these are the golden, twilight years

No comments:

Post a Comment