Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Not a care in the world

I sit here and write in desperation
The weather is warm, but not pleasant
Humidity sits at around 77 percent, but that’s just a guess
My blood runs thicker than the water that is trapped in the air
This mammal needs a cooler, drier climate

And sadly, it appears I have become so uninspired with my thought that I am describing my surroundings
It is a bleak day indeed
Except it is midnight
This is not poetry; it is swiftly becoming a rant

I have no real problems and that makes it worse

I feel awful for writing this way
Perhaps it is depression
Maybe it is the inner Brit complaining about circumstance

The family cat Buttercup seems to understand the situation
She hops on my lap and rubs my face as if to say it is okay
In her infinite wisdom she jumps on the keypad and slaps my hand away from the keys
I get up and feed her and she agrees to leave me alone

I sip on a cup of rum, red wine and coke
It is horrible
But not too bad
I have no real problems and this makes it worse

I think of the bleak prospect of three years under this National government
They sleep well knowing that all I will do to fight them is write words
I hate myself and the misguided sense that I am achieving something by text
It is no more than apathy that stops me from forcing change in measurable amounts
I have no real problems and this makes it worse

The fridge is too noisy and the clock is cruelly mocking me with each tick
Tick
Come on think
Tock
Go on write something worthy, you’re bloody near thirty
I remove the batteries from the thing and time still doesn’t cease
I light a cigarette knowing full well I’m cutting my life short and screwing myself out of years of potential
I have no real problems and this makes it worse

I think of my brother as I stare into space
What am I doing?
I still don’t know
I am lack lustre
Empty
Uninspired
Capable of something good
But too scared to achieve it
I have no real problems and this makes it worse

I miss friends who aren’t dead
And hate myself for not making the effort to see them
I despise the fact that I consider it an effort at all
What is wrong with me?
I have no real problems and this makes it worse

The hedonist in me considers it a pleasure that I have gotten to know myself
The rationalist sits in the queue behind Mr Hedonism silently shaking his head
He knows full well that I am alien in my own body and have barely scratched the surface
The dreamer in me isn’t even in the line; he is busy writing obscenities of ideas on the grey walls of my brain
I come to the safe conclusion that it is far past the time of reasonable business hours
So I turn them and their thoughts away
The dreamer is still oblivious and continues to scribble away into the night
He knows he has no real problems

But this makes it worse.

4 comments:

  1. You've written a very heavy piece, but it was really good. I really liked the line about removing the batteries but still not stopping time.
    I remember feeling this way before. I hope these feelings don't stick around much longer.
    Thanks for joining my blog. I hope you find something there worth reading. Also, I don't know if you've been invited before but do join in on Poets United's Poetry Pantry. Here's this week's link http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2011/12/poetry-pantry-is-now-open-78.html?m=1 you can share any poem you like any time. The Pantry opens up on Sundays and stays open all week. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly "inspired" piece about being uninspired... I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. it's nice to have no real problems. funny how our desire to be problem free defines how bad our problems are and then when we have none we feel guilty for it. I have many problems but i constructed them like fake boobs. I thought i needed them and that others would appreciate them, but all I did was poke myself further towards a destination I dont even want to reach. I have a problem cleavage full of beads of sweat and problem nipples that chaf when the going gets real tough. I drink quite a few push up bras that make me feel perky for a while. But I think deep down I'm looking forward to the relaxed sagginess that will force me to accept reality and hang low and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Krouth. Hey tsu, yeah the sagginess is good for a while, but I've not worked in 3 years. Quite an achievement, but there is a point where shit gets too saggy, to the point where you no longer see a point in hoisting your shit up. I think humans should strive for the middle ground sports bra lifestyle. Comfy, but productively offering support.

    Chur

    ReplyDelete